Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cajun Red Beans and Rice



My wife got a hankerin' for some homemade red beans and rice. I don't like beans, not even a little bit, 'cept for green beans and the occasional baked beans with BBQ. Anyhoo, I obliged and made her a batch, suffering through the smell and consistency whilst I made it. She said it was delicious, especially since I made it. Perhaps she's biased. I'm not quite sure, but I'll get back to you on that.

Red beans and rice is a Cajun dish that I'd not heard of until I moved to the Great Nation of Texas. Cajuns were/are amazing thrifty cooks, utilizing ingredients not used in other cultures. There is a strong French influence along with African influences in some dishes as well.

Red beans and rice is a staple comfort food in Cajun culture, as are gumbo, etouffee' and jambalaya. I'll post recipes for those dishes later. Cajun food is probably my favorite cuisine. Can I say 'cuisine' on here? Oh well, I'm feeling dangerous, so I will!

It's a simple dish to prepare. To wit:

Ingredients

1 pound red beans(soaked overnight, water changed frequently)
2 tsp oil(I prefer canola)
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1-3 cloves garlic diced(to your taste)
1/2 pound Andouille sausage, sliced(may substitute other sausage)
1 tsp Thyme
2 Bay leaves
1-2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper(more, if you're feeling frisky!)
Louisiana hot sauce (to taste)
Water/chicken stock
Cooked long grain rice


Directions

Saute the veggies over medium high heat until translucent or browned(your choice...I prefer the onions browned for caramelization). Add the garlic near the end of the saute', so it doesn't burn. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes to release some of the fat. Now add the previously soaked red beans and the remaining ingredients. Add water/chicken stock(I use chicken stock) to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, cover pot(I use a cast iron Dutch oven) with lid, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 3 hours. When the beans start to soften, mash some of them in the pot to release flavor and thicken the broth. Do not let the water/chicken stock level get below bean level or the beans won't cook. Serve over rice.

And there you have it! And don't forget to add the sprig of fresh parsley from your garden like I did. the dish won't taste the same without it!{SARCASM ALERT}

Be well. Eat well. Love well. Live long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Gorgeous Beaches of Goa